December Issue Highlights
A look at what's online from the 2009 December issue of up! magazine
It's the final countdown. No, we're not talking about the holidays—although they are fast approaching. And technically, Europe's classic Final Countdown song is appropriate for a Christmas countdown as well...or any kind of countdown.
No, our final countdown has to do with the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver, which kick off on February 12. To celebrate the ultimate showmanship of winter athletics, up! headed to the host city to talk to local Olympians.
We picked the athletes' brains for their favourite spots in Vancouver and Whistler. Best breakfast? We found it. Best nightlife? Done. Best ski run? Consider the beans spilled. Heed their advice and roll like an insider—the days of being labelled a tourist are over!
Check out the 11 Olympic athletes and their favourite spots—including our web-exclusive mystery Olympian!
Other Highlights from the December Issue
• Our annual gift guide highlights the best gifts for every traveller in your circle: cool gadgets, baby stuff, and fashion and accessories
• Maskanoo, a hot new festival in Turks and Caicos, will get you moving and grooving
• Cool events during Palm Springs' Modernism Week
• Mayan cuisine at the Royal Hideaway Playacar is hot, hot, hot
• Canadian singer Amy Millan raves about Liverpool House in Montreal
• A guide to exploring Maui's Road to Hana by motorcyle
• Two Miami hotels turn up the heat at two different price points: Loews Miami Beach Hotel and Cadet Hotel