Summer hair tips from celebrity stylist Mark Townsend
How to stay stylish while travelling with a few easy tips
Getting great hair while travelling can be a challenge. Dry, recycled air on the plane, frizz-inducing humidity at the resort, and the inability to cart all of your tools and products mean that many women resort to putting their hair into the same tousled bun while on vacation.
Celebrity hairstylist Mark Townsend.
Celebrity hairstylist Mark Townsend knows all about creating stylish, easy hair. We asked him for his top three tips for achieving beautiful hair while on the road.
Work with your texture and lifestyle
- Embracing its natural texture. If you’ve got curly hair, don’t fight it, and maybe don’t get bangs unless you’re prepared to style your hair daily.
- Get a haircut that suits your hair’s natural texture and your lifestyle.
- You don’t need to wash your hair daily, every 2 to 3 days is sufficient. When you wash your hair every day, your hair may start over-producing oils.
Use a good product
- Townsend swears by anti-frizz serums. He uses Dove Nourishing Oil Care Anti-Frizz Serum for natural hair (and touch ups) and Dove Nourishing Oil Care Leave-In Smoothing Cream when styling. Both products add moisture — so needed while on the airplane — and help to smooth flyaways.
- Use dry shampoo instead of washing your hair every day. It will help reduce the oil build up in your hair and gives amazing texture, says Townsend. You can also leave dry shampoo in (instead of brushing it out) to give volume.
Braids, braids, braids
Townsend says that braids are the perfect hairstyle while travelling because they are easy, stylish and create wonderful texture in the hair. Braids can be dressed up with jeweled bobby pins, headbands and other accessories.
Not sure how to do a braid? You’re not alone. Townsend admits that until a month ago, he didn’t know how to do a French braid properly. He learned from YouTube videos.
Read the extended story on avenue magazine.